Thanks Janne, I obviously did it the wrong way the first time, but it didn´t turn out better the second time. I just think these intakes don´t fit well with this technique - or I have the wrong kind of paint. It´s obviously not me :-D
Anyway. Progress has been slow but steady. I´ve so far attached one intake, finished both main gears and main gear bays. started on the armament, on the exhausts, continued on the front fuselage and so on. Not much to show, but I´ll show you what I have:
This is the front fuselage (duh!).. the nose cone is thoroughly glued in place with a lot of super glue, which doubled as a filler. In most places it looks good. Need some work in other. On the left side there are a lot of separate panels for the gun, avionics bays and the crew ladder. If done carefully, the fit is good, and the seam lines mostly disappear under a layer of primer.
There are some lines that need fixing. The two part ladder door left a huge gap that I plugged with some plasticard. There is a gap in the bottom of the fuselage in need of fixing too. The panels on the side looks better in real life, so I don´t think I will need to fix them much.
I have added plasticard to the inner side of the intake ducts. This is because HB left a gap on the inner side, that the intake ramps don´t quite manage to hide. As you can see, not much is really needed, but I wanted to cover an ugly seam inside the duct also, so I built a complete inner wall. The inner ramp must be thinned down some to fit.
The intake fit nicely to the fuselage. The outer seam and the rear seam are looking fine underneath a coat of primer. Note the dry fitted wheel bay. The surrounding area will be painted before the bay is glued in place. Makes masking simpler.
The inside however.. but this is probably all my fault. The plasticard added to the intake is just a fraction of a millimetre to tall I think. It fitted nicely when I placed the intake and applied force, but after a while the seam expanded. I tried to clamp the parts together, but there are no good places to put the clamp, so I will adress this seam with some stretched styrene in the future - or not.. I´m not placing this on a mirror, so it will not be visible.
Both main gear legs and main gear bays are finished. The legs had not yet received a wash when I took this picture - but they have now.
Before finishing up the nose gear leg I wanted to attach the "missing landing light". I thought that there was a transparent part for the light, that should go on to that "nub" that is placed at the location of the light. Turns out the "nub" IS the light. There is no call-out for any transparent part on the instructions, nor is there any suitable part on the transparent sprue. But I spiced up the landing light by removing the nub, drilling out a reflector. I used a small piece of wire as "light bulb", and a punched disc of transparent plasticard as a glass pane. Looks OK I think. A more thorough modeller would work on the reflector some more to get that chrome shine.
Finally a friendly wink to one of my favourite model building story tellers on this forum..