Alenia Aeronautica Sky-Y 1/144 scratchbuilt
Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:27 AM
First job is, again, printing multiple copies of the 3-view on paper which will be the template for the parts. This is a big UAV - about the size of a WWII fighter. Making the wings out of laminated strip plastic won't be strong enough, so I thought I'd carve them from the wings of a Dragon F-15 kit I won't be building.
In the corner you can see the test of the decals I made. In doing this, I found that the aircraft had about 4 or 5 slightly different marking schemes, and there aren't really that many images of the aircraft on the internet.
Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:06 AM
Unfortunately, I'm in a quandary as to how to build it. I've never done any sort of cross-section scratchbuilding before. I'll have to think about this.
Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:34 AM
I think you have taken on a challenge with this scratchbuild but I KNOW you will be able to get it done.
Looks like a marvelous choice for a build and look forward to more of your updates.
Please post when you are able..
BEST WISHES & GOOD LUCK.
Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:22 AM
Speaking of wings, I glued them together so they have the right dihedral. Now that I have them together as one piece, I see how they have slightly different curves, so I still need some more sanding. The wing is heavy, but the tail is so far back that I will need lots of weight in the nose. The lines you see are filled in panel lines from the F-15, but I will make lines for the control surfaces once sanding is done.
I've also done the tail booms out of nice thick plastic rods from a Evergreen random rod-and-tube pack so I can't tell you what diameter it is. I just forgot to put them in the picture.
Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:22 AM
Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:45 AM
I still have shaping around the engine to do. Then I need to prime it and go after the surface with putty again. It's really hard to get a smooth surface. It's only after the sanding and shaping that I can put in the booms and tail and the rest of the aircraft.
Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:53 AM
Next is the propeller shaft and digging out the nose landing gear well.
This post has been edited by spejic: 10 November 2011 - 08:56 AM
Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:40 AM
Next are the various bumps and scoops and the landing gear. I don't have any spare wheels of the right size, so I will have to make some. Yet another thing I need to figure out.
Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:36 AM
The main landing gear was cut from the top from a can of Spam. I tried using frame from various photoetch sets, but they just weren't thick or strong enough. The front wheel was made out of a slice of tube that was sanded to shape with a plastic rod in the center to make the indented hub shape. I didn't have a rod for the main wheels, so I sliced and drilled out the center of some sprue (it took a while to find - most sprue isn't perfectly round)
I also engraved new control surfaces for the wings to match the configuration of the flight version.
Next is making the propeller and painting.
Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:57 AM
only now I noticed this project (I am not going into Group Builds sections much)... very nicely done so far, it promises to be another award winning model
The only reason I thought I could do this was because I was inspired by your Sopwith Camel.
Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:42 AM
I tried multiple methods for making the propeller. The one I was happy with was taking some .030 styrene rod and sanding it mostly flat but keeping the hub end round.
Here's what it looks like now:
The paint is still splotchy in real life. And I still have to sand down the sides again. Only two weeks left...
Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:31 AM
Hopefully I will have enough time after I fix this.
Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:19 AM
I've bumped off the main probe so many times it could no longer be glued back on, so I made a new probe and drilled out the old stump. The new one is thinner, so hopefully it will bend more as I try in vain to cover it in enough coats of white. I also need to get some better decal paper.
Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:24 AM
I added the wheels and did some of the detail painting (headlights, front gear). I still need some more detail painting. The props are painted, but I need the white tips.
The decals are designed, but for some reason my new black ink cartridge is streaking badly when drawing on glossy surfaces. I have to figure out what is going on before I can print the decals.
Share this topic:
1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users