PLANAF Phantom Killer! 1/48 J-6 early batch(Chinese MiG-19S)
Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:42 PM
It's been a while without new works.
So this is what I'm busy with recently.
I visited a retired PLA Navy air force pilot,Mr.Zhushu Wang,who shot down a USAF F-4C from 366th TFW "The Gunfighters" over Lingshui,Hainan Island on June 26,1967.
The combat story inspired me so much that I decided to make his J-6(Chinese licensed built MiG-19S) to record that history.
You can check the visit via the link below(Sorry,simplified Chinese only):
As I've already built a Bilek 1/72 MiG-19PM several years ago,this time I chose the Trumpeter 1/48 one.
The kit fit good,but still suffers from some shape issues.
I took tons of photos of a retired J-6 near my home for hours to study the plane,and then the most obvious problems I found on Trumpeter kit are the bad shaped nose and wrong windshield.
I managed to solve the problems by replacing the HiPM kit nose,which is quite accurate,and sanding/polishing the original Trumpeter windshield.
Plus,I added Eduard PE set,Pavla Models resin gear bays and NeOmega resin ejection seat,which is really a gem.
As this Phantom Killer will be finished in NMF,I chose to replicate all the rivets,with the help of photos I took around the real thing.
So this time,I'm a true "rivet counter"!
Here we go now~~~
Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:46 PM
The separated fins are also self-made.
The gentle change between the bulged area and the front fin need to be sanded after putty applied and dried.
Small tricks to make pitot tube movable before fuselage glued.
Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:51 PM
The edge of flaps,etc. is too thick,just sand to thin.
The bulge on the nose is sanding from dried Tamiya AB putty.
Also,you may notice I use a piece of thick tape to protect the half-rounded area which is sanded at first.
The rivets on the windshield are all in wrong position.
I filled'em all by black super glue.
Also,the rips which combine the windshield and fuselage are also remade by Evergreen 0.14mm plastic card.
Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:55 PM
The burnt effect is made by Tamiya Weathering Master Set.
I also add some welding lines by melt plastic sprue.
Then the real challange comes!The full rivet madness!!
I used template ruler on flat surface while DYMO typing tapes on rounded surface.
To protect the inner colour and the ease to paint,masking the inner area then stick the canopy from inside.
Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:57 PM
I spent about 30 hours rivetting!Include a week's night during my business trip in Shenyang.
Blade shaped antenna is made from plastic card because the original part is too thick.
I use Quickboost resin intakes but some wrong shaped issues are not corrected.
So I have to correct them myself,then add welding lines.
Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:05 PM
The top area is thickened to fill into the camera gun.
You can find that from these pics.
So again,Tamiya AB putty helps me.
I will continued with the landing gears and painting after my business trip to Tokyo next week.
Thanks for watching!
Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:08 AM
I love your detailing work on this MiG to make it look real. And interesting article in that link. Took me quite a while to read through it.
Your build is simply making me 哭笑不得！！
This post has been edited by Qian: 14 September 2010 - 12:10 PM
Share this topic:
1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users